Statuses and actions combine to help you create a workflow for your sales leads. When a user takes an action on the lead -- indicating that they placed a phone call, qualified the lead, etc. -- the lead will automatically change statuses to reflect where it now is in the workflow. To create that association between statuses and actions, follow these steps.
1. Navigate to Menu - Administration - Manage Status
2. Click the Actions link next to the status you want to edit
3. Move any action you want to display in this status from the left menu, Available Actions, over to the right menu, Actions in Status [New]
4. When you want an action to trigger a status change, click on the action in the menu off to the right
5. After you click on the action you will see a button called Trigger Status Change that has a Status dropdown to the right of it. Select the status you want the action to change to from the dropdown menu, then select Trigger Status Change.
6. If you did the steps correctly you should now see in the menu to the right the action you had selected with a (Change Status to) text beside it.
Here is an example from the image above:
Contacted: Withdrawn (Change Status to Inactive)
This shows that when the lead is in the status of "New," then the action "Contacted: Withdrawn" will change the status to "Inactive."
Advanced Clients may also find these articles helpful:
How To Basics: How To Report When A Status Change Occurs
How To Basics: How To Report When An Action Is Taken On A Lead Record